El Dorado High School

Financial Aid

Types of Federal Student Aid  |  Free Application for Federal Student Aid  |  Cal Grant  |  Loans / Work Study  |  Financial Aid Links...
deadline to receive money for college is March 2nd 2020.

Are you a Senior?
Are you planning on attending a 4-year college/university, community college or trade school next year?
Do you want to receive two years of FREE TUITION?

If you answered YES to all three, you MUST apply for FAFSA and create your Cal Grant account by MARCH 2nd, 2020!!! 


What will the FAFSA do for me?
  • Students who apply by March 2nd will receive TWO YEARS OF FREE TUITION at all California Community Colleges.
  • Applying for FAFSA qualifies you to receive thousands of dollars which can be applied to tuition, books, housing, and more! 
  • FAFSA awards are FREE money that does not need to be paid back. 
  • Most colleges and trade schools require students to apply for FAFSA in order to qualify for additional aid and scholarship opportunities through their institutions.
Apply for Fafsa(Current seniors should apply for the 2020-2021 FAFSA)

Use the Financial Aid Checklist in English and Spanish to view a list of the items you'll need to complete the FAFSA or make use of the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet for an idea of what will be asked. 


If you plan to attend any type of college or trade school in the state of California, you qualify to receive additional aid! 
A Cal Grant is money for college that does not need to be paid back!

Follow these simple steps to apply for a Cal Grant.

Step 1: 
Complete the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application (for non-resident/undocumented students).

Step 2: 
Create your Webgrants 4 Students Account. 

Step 3:
Follow the Financial Aid Checklist to stay informed on the status of your aid.

Additional Resources 

There are many myths about the FAFSA that keep students from applying, such as:  
  • "I won't qualify because my parents make too much money; OR
  • "My grades aren't good enough to receive aid"
These are both false.  Do not miss your chance to receive aid because of inaccurate information.  Click HERE to read up on more "Myths About Financial Aid"

Cal Grant Awards:
Cal Grants can be used at any University of California (UC), California State University (CSU) or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California. 

There are three types of Cal Grant Awards. Find out more here!

For questions or help, please contact:

Stephanie Yurkovic
Career Guidance Specialist
El Dorado High School
561 Canal Street
Placerville, CA 95667
530-622-3634 X1033
EDHS College & Career Center (A-211)
Office Hours 7:30am - 4:00pm

Types of Federal Student AidGo To Top of Page

Free Application for Federal Student AidGo To Top of Page

Use this helpful guide to walk you through the FAFSA!

The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is a federal form for financial aid that is accepted by most schools. The information you provide will be used to figure the amount your family can afford to contribute toward your education (also known as your EFC: estimated family contribution).

The FAFSA for college attendance beginning Fall of 2020 can be filed beginning on October 1, 2019, using your 2018 tax year information. 

If your financial or living situation has significantly changed since 2018, you will still be required to use your 2018 information, then follow up with a call to each of your colleges' financial aid offices to explain your situation. You will be asked for documentation.
Financial aid deadlines vary by college, but if you file your FAFSA by December you should be in no danger of missing a deadline. If you are unsure, check your college's website.

Fill out the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Families wanting to get a preliminary EFC before they are eligible to fill out the FAFSA can use the FAFSA4caster.

Cal GrantGo To Top of Page

Your Cal Grant GPA will be uploaded to the California Student Aid Commission during fall semester of Senior year. This gpa is calculated differently than most gpa's you've seen, but should be close to what you normally know as your cumulative gpa. There is nothing you need to do, no paperwork to fill out.

What you DO need to do is follow up! It is important for you monitor your Cal Grant status and make sure your GPA actually made it all the way into the state's database. Remember, a missed deadline is a missed deadline, even if it wasn't your fault. After you file your FAFSA. visit webgrants4students to verify your status - you'll need to create a profile. If anything you see (or don't see) worries you, ask Mrs. Yurkovic or your Counselor to help you figure it out.

Loans / Work StudyGo To Top of Page

Stafford Loan
This is a federal student loan. With the unsubsidized loan, the interest accrues while you are in school, but you don't pay it until after you stop attending. With the subsidized loan, the government pays the interest while you are in school.

Work Study
A college might offer Work Study (on-campus employment) as a way for you to meet your cost of attendance. It is important to know that these offers can vary widely from college to college. Work Study is very similar to having an off-campus job, but with Work Study your pay in considered financial aid rather than income.

Other Loans
If you still have unmet need, the PLUS loan is a popular loan for parents of students. Some families choose to use a home equity-type loan. Shop around for best interest rates and repayment options.

Financial Aid Links...Go To Top of Page

  • FAFSA Opens October 1st for college enrollment next Fall.
  • Cal Grant info (EDHS electronically uploads GPA's for all Seniors in the fall without use of a paper form.
  • Webgrants for Students - Students should create an account & check that their GPA came through.
  • CSS Profile - a few colleges require this financial aid application, in addition to the FAFSA. (Your college will let you know.)